Pages

Friday, October 26, 2012

Chicken Tortilla Soup!

Okay so this recipe is perfect for the weather annnnd for a healthy diet. There are no creams or dairy unless you want to add some toppings! Of course I decline, but hubby likes it :) I got the idea from the Food Network but I've changed it up to my liking. I always try to add more veggies to everything! It's not that I don't like "good junky" food, rather my body doesn't do a very good job at disguising it! Lol, so while I'm in my home I'll do my best to do my body right :)



Ingredients:


2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Adobo seasonig
1 onion, diced
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
1 orange bell pepper, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1-2 jalapeno, diced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
64 ounces chicken broth (2 cartons)
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced Mexican style tomatoes
2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
1/ 4cup roughly chopped cilantro
1 can of black beans
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, diced

Yummy Toppings:
crushed tortilla chips
Sour cream
Monterey Jack, shredded
2 limes, wedged


I cheated with the bell peppers lol-Trader Joe's helped me out with the chopping! So just heat your oil on med-high heat in a large pot. Saute your onions, then add the bell peppers & jalepenos. Salt/pepper/Adobo seasoning/cumin. (I have a pic of the Adobo seasoning from the Tostada post in case you've never heard of it) Stir. Add your chicken broth, I use  <------
look at my pretty roses from hubby :)
 this one from T.Joe's. (I do eat chicken sometimes, but it has to be organic or free range. Otherwise you're paying dirt cheap for junky, unhealthy chicken!) Then goes in your tomatoes, corn, cilantro. Add your diced chicken in last and let cook about 20 minutes. You'll probably have to season again with Adobo/pepper :)





















The longer it simmers, I think the better the flavors will migrate :) Add your desired toppings and enjoy! Of course I make yummy guacamole with this meal!
This soup can be as healthy or "comforting" as you'd like it to be depending on your toppings.

Love me,
Love God.


No comments:

Post a Comment