Pages

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Always Room for Growth

Well, I hope everyone had a great Memorial weekend :)
My family & I had a great one, spending time with family in Lorain, Oh.

I was supposed to babysit today but there were some last minute changes, so it's just my kids -which is fine. I will use today to unpack, organize and focus on my children.  There's been a charge in me lately to do better with them. There was a time, and still today in my marriage that I wasn't sowing things that I wanted to reap. I started noticing more selfishness, sharp tongues, and pride in my husband. It really hurts to experience that from your spouse, or anybody for that matter.

And then I realized I was reaping what I was sowing.
That simple. Nothing more, nothing less. My hubby was giving me everything I was giving him. I'm sure it wasn't all intentional. Pure reaction, some habit. You know how it is-you go to any government place of business and the lady has an attitude before you even open your mouth. How do you feel? On defense probably. It makes you mad when people get smart with you for no reason. So more than likely, you react.


Well imagine a marriage like that. I sowed selfishness, attitude, pride into my marriage and in return I got it right back. In the perfect world that wouldn't be so. And I will say the roles were reversed at times, sometimes you are able to kill them with kindness. But often, that's not the case.

So anyway, without being too hard on myself on this post- I'm wondering about my children. My first born who is 4 seems to be aggressive at times with his younger brother; easily flustered. Some of his bossiness is normal, being the oldest, that's understandable but I honestly believe I can sow better into him; into all of them.


These are the fruits of the spirit :) I do better at some than I do with others. Some days are also better than others. But, it's these fruits that set us apart in this world. Because Jesus showed us ALL of these things...and more. I want my kids to reap all this goodness from me. Kids learn to do what they SEE more than by what's being SAID. My husband & I can tell them everyday a list of do's and don'ts but they're going to mimic behaviors, character traits, and personalities more often.

When I take the time to speak with kindness and gentleness and teach my children to be patient I can always  count on my oldest to be gentle with his brother. Words are contagious, just like smiles. Imagine a home where everyone tried their best to be kind to one another and learned patience. I don't just want to be teacher to my kids, I want to be a loving, kind, and patient teacher. Learned behaviors.

There wasn't a lot of yelling or cursing in my home growing up. Thankfully, I didn't pick up on either of those things as I got older. And I don't want to bring either one in my home. Some things in our life, we can't control, I get it. Sometimes our kids come out exactly opposite from us. But other times, they don't. That's what I'm interested in. Showing them a better way. Showing them a life of Christ full of joy, peace and self control. But, it starts with me. I can't teach them about this awesome person who is #1 in our life, yet be nothing like Him.

I thank God, for showing me certain things in my children that can be changed. For showing me the things that I'm responsible for, and the ways that I can change. Matthew 6:33
Nothing can be poured out of me that's not first IN me. John 15:5

Thank you Lord for a beautiful day so far. My kids are lovely and so are you. All I can do in this life is try and be like you. All I can ask for is more grace and more days to work on it; so thank you.  Looking forward to better relationships in my family :)

Remember, God is not mocked for whatever we sow, we will reap- Galatians 6:7





It's the most simple concept , "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." Matthew 7:12

If you want to be heard, listen. 
If you want respect, respect.
If you want others to be patient with you, show patience.
If you want to hear a pleasant tone, speak a pleasant tone...........

Our family deserves this very least. Happy Tuesdsay!

p.s. These two posts have been very helpful for me :)
Take a look, enjoy them don't condemn yourself. Pray. Pray. Pray

1.http://theorangerhino.com/10-things-i-learned-when-i-stopped-yelling-at-my-kids/
2.http://www.handsfreemama.com/2013/05/22/the-important-thing-about-yelling/


Love me,
Love God.



2 comments: