Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

No Grains!

So I just wanted to update you with what I've been doing, as far as my "diet" is concerned. The last 28 days I have been trying a more Paleo diet. 

http://whole9life.com/category/whole-30/ is the website I used. I can't say that I was totally Paleothough- One of their biggest no-no's was and is one of my biggest yes yeses! Lol. BEANS. I cannot let my beans go, Sorry Charlie. Not because I'm Mexican lol either. Anyhoo so the gist of the diet is that you can't have dairy or grains; processed foods. Nothing sugary.They believe in more of a "cave man" diet-fresh & lean, not much cooked at all. Hence beans being a no-no; you have to cook them. 



So, all around I feel pretty light. Lean and fresh is very good for you. Grains in all forms can weigh heavily on you, literally. I can't say I'm going to eat a Paleo diet for always and for ever because one thing I've learned about me is that I can be very extreme. Black or white. North or south. And sometimes I take it hard when I teeter the other way. So, after going through 28 days of no grains or dairy, I think I'm going to continue to limit my grains (and dairy) as much as I can. Dairy especially seems to show itself on my body. So I'm going to strategically plan when I'm going to eat it; either from eating out or an occasional meal at home. I did lose weight, not sure how much because my scale is broken, But I definitely did :)

This "plan" helped my motto of "Keep it simple." Whether I cooked baked chicken or salmon, different veggies was always  paired with it. We are creations of habit so the earlier you can get your kids used to simple (clean) eating, the better. I rotated from broccoli, zucchini, tomatoes, Brussels sprouts, quinoa, sweet potatoes, collard greens, and peppers. I can let you know how to prepare these veggies too. Really simple. That's the goal, right? Simple helps to keep portions in control. That's one of the biggest culprits: oversized portions. Without many options (because of the grains) you are highly encouraged to try healthier foods like vegetables :)

Many processed foods, bad carbs, huge portions and overcheesed foods can leave you full! You don't want to always feel full to where you feel like you can't breathe! Lol, you want to be able to walk away and not feel like you're going to pass out! Content but not stuffed ;)

While I won't stand behind one particular "diet" or lifestyle, I will say limiting meat, processed (boxed) foods, dairy and grains is a good thing. When I eat meat, mostly chicken it has to be without the junky hormones, antibiotics etc. Organic is best. If I'm on the go at home, I'll do a non preservative frozen food vs. a boxed meal. *Trader Joe's grocery store doesn't carry foods with preservatives or artificial ingredients. Just try to space out grains if you're going to keep eating them. Because I stay at home, I have the luxury of being able to plan all meals and stay somewhat on top of things lol. So if I make pizza one day it may be another couple of weeks before I make another one. Same with pasta noodles. So far, my favorite noodle would be brown nice noodles. Better tasting than wheat and just better period.

I like the saying "Eat the meat and spit out the bones!" Start Googling things, asking questions and doing some good research on foods. I think there's something to learn and take from these different lifestyles :) Let me know if you need any help!

p.s. Here's my other post on my health makeover! http://aperfectfitministries.blogspot.com/2012/09/obsessed-journey-to-health-pt1.html
p.s.s. Check out these books, "Wheat Belly" "The Maker's Diet" "Look great, Feel great"


Love me,
Love God.

No comments:

Post a Comment