Pages

Friday, January 25, 2013

MOMMYHOOD DONE IN EXCELLENCE!



I've been at home for almost 4 years now. The first 2.5 years I was actually working from home on top of working at home. Processing bills for companies, diapers, meals, and naps was the lengthy description. Let me give you a visual:

That's about right-2 kids, only I was nursing with my second so more like baby in right arm, and typing with left. So I didn't do the best at keeping up with the house! I was just too exhausted after work. This past May I quit my part time job. My third baby came in June and I just knew I couldn't handle 3 at home and working from home. So here I am, an official stay at home mom of 3

I've had moments where I was tired of doing the dishes. I felt like every second of the day was dedicated to washing: dishes, kids, or laundry. I would bark at my husband when he got home to clean up after himself. It wasn't fair; I wasn't a maid. Many days I was too exhausted to keep up with the kids' mess. I deserve to rest and to be lazy. Time spent on the internet or in front of the TV was deserved.  I didn't have any energy to do anything! 

I recently had a conversation with a good friend about coming off her job and staying home with her son. It's funny how you can know something, you can hear something more than once but in one moment something clicks. I'll paraphrase because I don't remember her exact words. Something along the lines of "you signed up for the job." We were discussing all the cleaning and other household duties of staying at home and she said "all that was understandable because you knew it was expected going into the situation." I said, "yep." But I don't think I ever really understood that. That was like 5 days ago. For some reason, it's stuck with me. It makes me think of a couple of scriptures:

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." Colossians 3:17
"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men" Colossians 3:23
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."      1 Corithians 10:31

I've been thinking, maybe I'm not giving this my all? Maybe I'm not even working as if it's a real job?? As much as I defended it and said it's a full time job, am I really treating it accordingly? I would have to say no. As soon as my husband walks out the door to go to work is when I "clock in." Everything that fits in the hours of 830-7p (on average) is my responsibility. I repent of my laziness!
 I've realized that there isn't much down time either. I think before I tried to squeeze it in there, but there's a cost. The cost in my case is "neglecting" the kids and having them play on their own or watch TV. And I hate kids in front of the TV for long periods of time. But there are times when you have things to do and it's perfect for keeping them occupied. I'm guilty. The other thing that goes is a quality meal and tidy house. If you have kids then you know what I'm saying. Cleaning after them is a job in itself lol. Imagine not cleaning up until everyone is sleep? Which I've done before, but let me give you another visual:



No joke. Not to mention the dishes after breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner. Toys everywhere. If I want to be successful in keeping my house in "order" I have to keep up as we go. I'm not a neat freak or perfectionist, but I will say having a tidy house helps my sanity. Feeling exhausted and having a disastrous house plays with me mentally lol. I can't think straight. Feels like I'm in the middle of a tornado; yea not a good feeling. I know some days you just don't have it in you to keep up. "Just one of them days." And I believe you should just ride that out when they come :) Just don't be like me and have one of those days every other day!

I'm happy to report that I've been taking my "job" more serious. I've also taken more pride in my job title. I knew it was a blessing to be home, but I'm human and I forget. I complain about all the work I have to do. Every day I have the opportunity to sow into my kids. I get to sow love, patience, quality time, wisdom, knowledge, health, God's word and so much more.  The harvest outweighs the labor; truly.  My kids absolutely loving having my attention. Doing anything with mommy is amazing! It's just something about playing with kids that they love. So, Ive made more effort to just hang out with them. Nothing rushed or timed; just good ol' quality time :) 
I also get to keep my house in order for us :) I don't want to take it for granted that I get to clean and cook all meals for my kids. I've been tempted to complain about how busy I am and tired blah blah but I would be complaining if someone else was feeding my kids everyday or I had to pack, which is harder. I like feeding them good stuff :) that's a blessing that I'm able to provide for them in that way. Not to mention the benefits for my hubby. After a long work day, my husband can wind down in a clean home with a good meal! I've done well this week, but I know I have to keep reminding myself that it would be a lot harder to do these things if I were working (spending time with kids, cooking for them, cleaning, exercising) So I appreciate my "job" more ;)
A big help has been structure. Staying organized, keeping a consistent schedule, and staying attentive. My next goal is finding new, fun activities for the kids to do. I'll be hitting up pinterest ;) Also remembering not to count on a lot of down time. I am at work ;) Do it in excellence! Most people working get a mini break and a lunch hour so it's all good. I'll use their nap times as my break. There will be a day where I will return to the work field, but for now my home is my field, so remember,
"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men" Colossians 3:23



p.s. God knows the plans He has for us, I am able to be a great mom and wife through Him :) He is our help
p.s.s Other mommy posts:  http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=8855521764566806128#editor/target=post;postID=7192981178068802639


Love me,
Love God. 




No comments:

Post a Comment